Skip to main content

Featured

Not Part of the Plan- GirlDefined

I was so thankful to again be chosen to be a part of the launch team for GirlDefined’s new book: “Not Part of the Plan: Trusting God with the twists and turns of your story.” I was so excited when they announced this new book. I’ve been so encouraged as I’ve followed the story of Bethany’s long journey of singleness and Kristen’s trial of infertility. Their openness to these struggles have encouraged me so much as I see their love for the Lord grow even in the midst of hard. I remember hearing Kristen share of her third miscarriage at the 2019 GirlDefined conference- months after a big and hard life disappointment for me. I was lost and confused and my only hope was to cling to the Lord as my life didn’t go in the direction I had hoped it would. And hearing the struggle Kristen had gone through and how the Lord comforted and worked in her heart was so helpful.  I was so excited to read this book. I’ve loved every book of theirs. It’s so personable and so very practical. They share thei

When Sinners Say "I Do" Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage


The gospel is something we need in every area of our lives.  In marriage and in singleness.  In joy and in sorrow.  In good times and in hard times.  When life feels good and when life feels confusing. 


This book showed so much of my need for Jesus and His grace. It calls us to look at our own sins and not be so easy to point out the sins of those around us.   It shows the great gravity of our sins.  We can all tend to point fingers and defend or blame our sins on others or life circumstances.  I think especially today it is so easy to do this and not truly see our sins. 


"It is wrong, not because of what it does to me, or my spouse, or child, or neighbor, but because it is an act of rebellion against the infinitely holy and majestic God."
-Jerry Bridges


"There can be no small sins against a great God."
-J.I. Packer

Dave Harvey mentions in the book that with true sorrow of our "little sins", our awareness of God and His mercy grow.

Be quick to see our own sin.  How important it is even for those who are not married.  We are happier people when we see ourselves as the worst of sinners. 

The book included a quote by John MacArthur that shares how we blame our sins on life circumstances, and that Christians are losing sight of sin as the root of all human woes. We are denying our sin.   We remove the need for Jesus and salvation when we do this.  The need of repentance. 

                                                                .     .    .

Books like this help me to have a deeper understanding of the need to marry someone who loves the Lord above all else and who surrender their lives to Him.  Not to compromise.  Not to take lightly marriage.  To continue waiting on Him. 



Dave Harvey shared of a women who went through an unbelievably hard marriage, but throughout the marriage and after she found her hope in the Lord.  Her joy was complete in Him.  She didn't need people, her husbands love, or the perfect marriage to be content, because she had Christ.  This gives me a deeper desire to grow in love of my Savior and to grow closer to Him through all seasons of life. 


Comments

Popular Posts