Skip to main content

Featured

Not Part of the Plan- GirlDefined

I was so thankful to again be chosen to be a part of the launch team for GirlDefined’s new book: “Not Part of the Plan: Trusting God with the twists and turns of your story.” I was so excited when they announced this new book. I’ve been so encouraged as I’ve followed the story of Bethany’s long journey of singleness and Kristen’s trial of infertility. Their openness to these struggles have encouraged me so much as I see their love for the Lord grow even in the midst of hard. I remember hearing Kristen share of her third miscarriage at the 2019 GirlDefined conference- months after a big and hard life disappointment for me. I was lost and confused and my only hope was to cling to the Lord as my life didn’t go in the direction I had hoped it would. And hearing the struggle Kristen had gone through and how the Lord comforted and worked in her heart was so helpful.  I was so excited to read this book. I’ve loved every book of theirs. It’s so personable and so very practical. They share thei

June Books

The Storytellers Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights-
Shahrazad is a storyteller and a legend at that.  She is destined to save others with her stories.
She was born in a foreign land where no one cared for her and she learned to live with it, hiding away in her home.  But when the king is betrayed and hurt she must come out and save every young women, thus threatening her own life.  Will a story be enough to save her from a tortuous death?
This was an exciting young adult fantasy and I really enjoyed reading it!



Legend-
I loved this fun young adult dystopian adventure.  Raking three on my top favorite dystopian books, I can't wait to read the next two.
June and Day are on two different levels, one wealthy and rich, the other poor and a criminal, but they are both smart and strong.
When June finds one of the top wanted criminals, Day, she suddenly has a turn of emotion towards him, he isn't the horrible guy she thought he was.  Instead he causes her to think about things she never even considered before.  Will she listen to him and change her life forever or will she paly along with the games of her leader?
~This book wasn't too bad for the most part, but there was language and a few kiss scenes.~



Ashamed of the Gospel-
This book talked about how many churches today are turning more to entertainment than real biblical teachings.  People think they can 'win' others to Christ by entraining them with modern things like games, plays and/or movies.  Anything that will get more and more people to come to their church.  Of course not all churches are like this, but John MacArthur wanted to make us beware of these things that do go on.  I think this book was a good eye opener for me, because I am very 'spoiled' with the churches I have gone to.  I also liked how he proved the points on how these churches can be bad, because at first we may think, 'what's wrong with entertainment?"  But John MacArthur had really good points and I enjoyed reading his book, though it was really long!



Kidnapped-
This book is a classic, about David Balfour who was kidnapped because his rich uncle wanted him gone.  Written by Robert Louis Stevenson, it follows the adventures of a young lad who lost both his parents.  He makes new friends, witnesses many deaths, gets stuck on an island and accused of murder.  He is on the run for his life to get back to the inheritance that is his.



The Gates of Zion-
This book is a historical fiction book about the events after the Holocaust and how harshly the Jews were treated even afterwards.  Ellie is American photojournalist in Jerusalem who gets caught up with a couple of Arabs out to destroy the Jews.  She has to fight for her own life and those she loves. 
This was a very interesting book and insightful.  It was also hard to read because there were many sad and a few gruesome parts.  It's hard to read stories about the sin in man's heart, though this was fictional, things like this happened and still happen today.
It was also fun to read about the Jews and their beliefs and how they could have felt.
~Because this is a book about real life events there are some things to be careful of in here.   There is violence and a few rape scenes, they didn't give much detail, but they were there.~



Comments

Popular Posts