Skip to main content

Featured

Not Part of the Plan- GirlDefined

I was so thankful to again be chosen to be a part of the launch team for GirlDefined’s new book: “Not Part of the Plan: Trusting God with the twists and turns of your story.” I was so excited when they announced this new book. I’ve been so encouraged as I’ve followed the story of Bethany’s long journey of singleness and Kristen’s trial of infertility. Their openness to these struggles have encouraged me so much as I see their love for the Lord grow even in the midst of hard. I remember hearing Kristen share of her third miscarriage at the 2019 GirlDefined conference- months after a big and hard life disappointment for me. I was lost and confused and my only hope was to cling to the Lord as my life didn’t go in the direction I had hoped it would. And hearing the struggle Kristen had gone through and how the Lord comforted and worked in her heart was so helpful.  I was so excited to read this book. I’ve loved every book of theirs. It’s so personable and so very practical. They share thei

Dos Books

Scumble-
This book is a companion to the book Savvy, a book that I read a few years ago and really enjoyed.  These book's are centered more for Tweens, they are an easy read and interesting. 
The Kale family are not normal people, actually none of Ledger's mother's side of the family is normal.  At the age of 13 each person gets what is a called a Savvy, a power that could be anything from fun, horrible, safe or dangerous.  When Ledger turns 13 his hopes and dreams of being the fastest runner are crushed when what he get's is something horrible and uncontrollable, so he thinks.  He spends the summer with his uncle and cousins as he tries to find hope through his savvy, all the while finding adventures and making new friends.


The Help-
I really enjoyed this book, it was easy to read and very interesting.  I enjoyed the realness of the story, the true facts and events and...life. 
Three women in Mississippi, strike out to make a difference in their situations.  Each one very different and in a different stage of life.
Aibileen is a wise and kind black maid who is working for a senseless woman, helping her raise her child.
Minny is another black maid, with a rougher attitude and always standing up for herself, in the end getting herself in trouble.  She can't seem to keep work, until she goes to work for a strange and naïve woman with all kinds of secrets and mysteries.
Skeeter is a young white woman trying to find her place in life.  She has a degree, but is not married.
Together these women step out to make a difference in tough times.  They face trials and hardships from their friends and loved ones, but that doesn't stop them. 

Comments

  1. Hello Alyssa. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog "Alyssa's Book Corner" and the post on it "Dos Book". Good book review. Well I just take this opportunity to share with you a program our church in Mumbai, India has for the young people as well as adults from the West. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as the adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short term missions tirp to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friens to work with us in the slums of Mumbai during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you. My email id is: dhwankhede(ay)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Praying for you as you seek God's direction in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts